Thursday, November 4, 2010

Tube Strikes Strike Again

The Tube is constantly in a state of commotion from strikes. This is literally at least the 3rd or 4th that we've had in the last two months. A group of kiddos are going to a concert in East Jebip tonight, and they're having all kinds of fun trying to figure out how they're going to get there. Probably by bus. I don't envy them.

Yesterday was a good, productive day. We discussed The Buddha of Suburbia yesterday for the whole of Susie's class. It was a decent discussion, but I was annoyed by the lack of participation. I felt like we left Susie hung out to dry because people didn't feel like talking. Things improved and people were talking more by the end of class, so my mood also improved.

After class I made a nice bowl of pasta with chopped up chicken fingers in it. Spinach tortellini. Tasty. From lunch break, I went to get my hair cut. It's been driving me nuts, because it's become sort of shapeless and poufy, but all that is in the past. A little Asian man gave me a trim and advised me to let my hair dry in a bun to give it shape, and to not worry about blowing it dry. Anyone who knows me would recognize my general low-maintenance ethos, and would understand when I say that I wanted to kiss him for giving me those instructions. Now I have a built in excuse and don't have to feel like I'm just lazy for not doing anything with my hair! Onwards to the post office to buy stamps. On the way back to my flat, I met Ruthie in the park and she invited me to tag along to an exhibit she was going to check out at the Wellcome Collection. This guy, Wellcome, has amassed a collection of medical instruments and medically-related (and some barely medically-related) objects which he shares with the public fo' FREE. So we checked out a Chinese torture chair, Japanese sex aids (wouldn't you like to know), locks of hair from King George III and Napoleon, a naturally mummified human body, a slice of a human body (a la the Body Worlds exhibit at the Franklin Institute and other such science museums), a collection of forceps used for birthing, assorted prosthetic limbs (including a legit peg leg), and various and sundry other things. It was wicked cool.

We came back to HQ in plenty of time to grab some grub and then head out to the National Theater to see Blood and Gifts. It was about the Afghan War in the late 70s and 80s. Very political and thought provoking. I liked it. During intermission I met two ladies who are in London for the week with the Lancaster Opera House, watching plays. Lancaster as in Lancaster, Penna! So we chatted and bonded and generally had a lovely time. They were sweet.

Today's classes were swapped; Jean in the morning and Barnaby in the afternoon.For Jean's class, we were at the Globe Theater for a workshop with one of the actors. His name was Collin, and he was hilarious. The first part was a sort of history of the Globe and a discussion of how his plays aren't meant to be "classic literature," but were bawdy, ludicrous plays that amused everyone, from the lowest classes up through the ranks of the aristocracy. It was kind of nice to hear about Shakespeare's work that way, instead of as sacred texts the way a lot of English professors treat him/his work. The second bit was doing acting exercises. Vocal stretches and physical stretches to loosen us up physically and inhibitionally. I don't think inhibitionally is a word, but you know what I mean. Inhibitions were lowered. It was a lot of fun being goofy and doing some of his acting exercises, and it reminded me a lot of the acting class I took at Hendrix as a freshman. I miss acting. Jacob keeps telling me that I have to do a show when we get back, so maybe I will. We'll see.

Barnaby's class brought us right next door to the Globe into the Tate Modern. It was a lovely day to be walking (thank goodness, because of the TUBE STRIKE going on), and I had a nice stroll back by myself after I turned a different way than Erin, John and Hayes. Heard this really great trio of guys playing jazz by the river. Worth it.

I'm looking forward to an evening of reading the rest of Riddley Walker and taking a break from that at 8 to go to the Wednesday Pub Quiz! I MAY have convinced Dr. King to join Mandi, Chase and I for it (the others will be at the concert in Brixton), but whether or not he shows remains to be seen. He would definitely be an asset to our team. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment