Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Magical Emporium of Deliciousness!

Monday. Went and got my official library card to the Senate House Library here in London and did some research for a presentation I had to do for Barnaby (Art & Architecture). We each had to present on a painting of our choosing from the Tate Britain that was done between 1700 and 1900. I chose a John Singer Sargent piece called "Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose." Anyway, that was why I was at the Tate on Sunday (I think I may be repeating myself here). And that was why I finally got myself together and went to the lib on Monday. Went to College Arms Monday night and Jemma our bartender friend invited us to go to a Soul Club with her and Johnna (I dunno how to spell her name), one of the other barmaids, on Thursday, so that's the plan!

Tuesday was cool. Class with Susie in the morning (Life & Culture), and we talked about the monarchy. Afternoon we grabbed fish and chips at this place near class that apparently is in John's tourist book, called the Friar's Delight, and it was truly delightful. Afternoon we went on a tour of Parliament that was SO COOL. We couldn't take pictures inside, but it was beautiful. We got to go into the House of Commons, House of Lords, the Royal Robing Room (where the Queen puts on her robes to do the opening/closing of Parliament ceremonies), the rooms where members of Parliament go when they're voting (they leave the chambers and go to either the left or right to vote yes or no), andddd other things. Anyway, it was interesting, and our guide was excellent. Cool stuff. When we got back to the flat, we all had lots of stuff to do. Finishing up our presentations for Barnaby and reading Henry IV part 2 for classes today.

During a break from working, I was hanging out with the boys and trying to explain Wawa to them. For ONCE, they were receptive to believing that Wawa is actually as incredible as we all know, and John went to far as to tell me that, "it doesn't sound like a 'glorified convenience store,' it sounds like a magical emporium of deliciousness!" I can hardly think of a better way to describe it.

Presentations this morning were great, and Jean let us out very early from Shakespeare this afternoon (beautifullllll) so I got to nap before heading back to the Globe tonight to see Henry IV part 2. Adding to the normal fun of getting to stand for 3 hours to watch a play, we finally got some real London-style rain. It was a constant rainfall of varying intensities over the course of the play. Thankfully, we were well-prepared and had on raingear. Didn't stop us from getting wet anyway (somehow my sleeves always manage to get soaked at the bottom, so my hands were pruney and frozen by the time I got back to the flat). Cold, wet and tired from another long day, we tramped back. And I've been sitting here in HQ blogging for the last 3 hours or so. I got distracted by skype. Which is a good thing because I got to talk to Adri AND Catherine Huyette! Mark of a good night :)

It's now 3:10am, and I'm going to bed. Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment