Sunday, September 5, 2010

New Friends!

Last night we went to a new pub, one recommended to us by one of the girls who did Hendrix-in-London 2 years ago, called the Marleborough Arms. Early in the evening, one of the USC girls who lives in our building popped in to the boys' apartment to see what our plans were for the night. Apparently, most of their group headed to Scotland for the weekend, but a few had stuck around London. Long story, two of the girls, Dani and Maria, ended up going out with us, and they were super cool. Both from LA, but different from each other. Maria was what I imagine an LA girl would look like; super together looking and wearing shoes that make me faint even thinking about walking a block in. Dani was uber chill, down-to-earth and my kinda person to hang out with. Their group is headed to Dublin next weekend (as we're planning to!), so we've already promised to go out together next weekend. Some of the guys got their phone numbers (nice work, gentlemen), so we're good to go in terms of contacting them. Fun!

Also, new favorite drink: glitter bomb. Goldschlager and red bull. Try it, you'll love it. Learned it from our bartender friend, Jemma (we met her the first night we were in town, and she's an excellent reference for new drinks, and good deals at pubs around town. Nice.)

Found the Catholic church last weekend when we went to Camdentown Market ( did I mention how cool that market was? because it was phenomenal. so many vendors, so many cool things to buy, so many opportunites to blow through money...), and managed to find a mass schedule online last night, so I hit up my first mass in the UK already today. The priest gave a homily that was completely relatable, and I kept wishing that people who hate on the Catholic church could listen to it and realize that it's not a ridiculous antiquated institution, but a community dedicated to just spreading the love, man! I was thrown off by the songs, though, and the hymnal didn't have the music written, just the lyrics. So I kinda wung it. I think some of the girls are going to join me next weekend, but I didn't give them much notice this morning, so I flew solo for today. In all, a good experience.

Maybe going to head towards the river for a wander about this afternoon, but til then, FOOD!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your having an incredible time Kate! I've missed you a lot and I can't wait for you to come back and make me a glitter bomb. :) Much love!

    ReplyDelete