Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The End of Dublin

Yes, that is a real rainbow. A double rainbow. If that's not a s sign that you, too, should visit the Guinness Factory if you ever have the chance, I don't know what is.
 
I have to say, there was a grave omission in my last post. The omission was thus: the Guinness factory was AMAZING. I didn't adequately convey that in the two sentences I devoted to our tour and tasting. So take my word for it... if you decide to pop over to Dublin, ever, you really must visit the factory to get a real picture of the city. I mean, anywhere downwind of the storehouse, the smell of roasting barley and hops completely permeates. Plus all the really interesting facts about Arthur Guinness himself that are found throughout the 7 STORY TOUR. Plus the entire portion dedicated to advertising. Really it was just incredibly interesting, and I was so glad to have borrowed Dad's copy of "The Search for God and Guinness" this summer (this is a side note, but if you have any interest in the connections between religious groups and the gradual social shift from appreciating beer as a moderate alcohol to the more Puritanical take of all alcohol being inherently evil, READ THAT BOOK).
 
FULL ON DOUBLE RAINBOW. As seen amidst buildings on the Guinness Factory property.

Anyway. Sunday morning started a new "longest day ever." We had to check out of the hostel at 10:30, but thankfully could leave our luggage in a lock-up and hang out there later in the day. Left and headed back towards Phoenix Park. We ended up splitting up (basically for the first time), and Hayes, John and I ended up enjoying a leisurely morning in the park/lunch in Heuston Train Station/stroll to the James Joyce Center. Eventually, exhaustion overtook us and we headed back to the hostel to wait for the other 3 (we had agreed to meet up at 5), and then began our incredibly exhausting journey back.
Foot bridge to town in Holyhead

WWI memorial in Holyhead
Walk to the bus station to get a ride to the ferry port. Ferry left at 8:50, arrived in Holyhead, Wales a bit after midnight....and then waited for our train which left at 4:50. AM. Over four hours later. Thank God for cards. I went on two excursions into the town itself, so I guess that means that I can say I've really been to Wales, albeit briefly.


Train got us back to Foggy London Towne around 8:15, 8:30am. Headed back to the flat and PASSED OUT. Once I regained consciousness around 3pm, had to do some classwork (?!?!) and read Mrs. Dalloway. Virginia Woolf is such a cheery writer.

Class this morning, and some really excellent pasta for lunch as I write this. Rocking out with some Kodachrome (Paul Simon, anyone?). Now I get to upload 100000 pictures. In reverse chronological order. Enjoy!

So the top floor of the factory has a 360 degree view of Dublin. It's called the Gravity Bar, and it's where I had the most perfectly poured Guinness I probably ever will (I learned on the tour that it takes 119.5 seconds to pour a perfect pin of Guinness). As shown, said beer and said view.
Advertisement
St. Patrick's Cathedral
The rosiest-smelling rose I've yet encountered in my relatively short life. Outside St. Patrick's.
Dublin Castle (the garden had this really cool contemplation maze bricked into a large green. Of course, I neglected to take a picture of said "really cool maze." Typical.)
Just a friendly reminder... :) 5:59 pm in Dublin = 12:59 pm in Phila and 11:59am in Conway. In case you're feeling Irish patriotism that day.
River Liffey in Dublin
John, Me, Chase, Ruthie, Jack, Hayes. Dublin crew in the Jameson Distillery
_______________________________________________________________
Back to London Pics.


The Old Bailey (remember, remember...) with the Millennium Bridge spanning the Thames in the foreground.

Tower Bridge (if memory serves), as seen from the Millennium Bridge
A DIFFERENT full on, double rainbow. This one seen in London. Since I started this post with a rainbow, it seems appropriate to end it in similar fashion.




No comments:

Post a Comment