Monday, September 20, 2010

Pub crawl = more new friends!

So the C.H.A.S.E. pub crawl was a raging success, if I do say so myself. Everyone seemed to be having as much fun as I was, we got to hang out with Danni (the other USC girls joined us a bit later, as they were off chilling with Benedict), Jacob came to crawl with us, and we met more people! At College Arms I met an Irish guy named Shane who was in town for the weekend taking a Chinese massage class. He's an acupuncturist with a really interesting life story (part of which I got on Saturday, part last night, but more on that later), and he was just a generally nice guy. Excellent conversationalist. I tried to convince him to go to the next pub with us, but he declined because of the prospect of 8 hours of class the next day. Fair enough.

On to Pillars of Hercules where Ruthie and I were talking to a guy and girl outside about hair styles in London. They also very kindly took a picture of the group of us. The Angel was uneventful, but Jacob met up with us on our trek between Angel and Shakespeare Head (the 3 pubs prior were small places, so the group decided we needed to go to a bigger place. Since none of us have been to the Square Pig, we opted for the familiar. Hayes arm wrestled a random guy, I talked to a random crowd of people (and took a picture with them), and the USC girls arrived!

On, then, to The Enterprise which was (OH NO!) closed! We took a group photo outside to prove that we'd made it to all 5 pubs, and then realized that the USC girls live in Flat E in our building (AN E!!!!)! So we headed back to the flat, and headed up to Flat E to complete the C.H.A.S.E. pub crawl. Fantastic :)

All in all, an excellent night.

Next morning was a slow one. Generally lazed about in HQ (the boys' flat), and worked on a British media project we've got due tomorrow. Got to skype with the momma and the poppa AND Cassandra, so that was success. Decided that I was not in the mood to cook for myself, so Hayes and I headed to the College Arms to grab dinner. I ordered a bowl of soup that I IMAGINED being broth-y with chunks of ham and individual peas in it. What I received was actually mushed up peas. Not my favorite, but the bread was fantastic. Also, Shane was there! So while Hayes and I ate, he hung out with us and we chatted about all sorts of random things. He told us about hurling (an incredibly violent, fast-paced sport that lunatics here play... youtube it), and we compared Irish/American stereotypes. We had a really nice time, and as we were finishing up we found out that his class runs one weekend/month, so he'll be back again! I gave him my email address and he's going to email me next time he's in town so he can hang out with us. So fun! He also gave me advice about where to go over fall break when I travel to Ireland.

Woke up and have been reading Brave New World for most of the morning. Surprisingly good; I would still be reading it if I could find my copy and hadn't had to steal Hayes' (which he, reasonably, needed to read himself). So I think I'll continue the hunt for that.

Another successful weekend in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment