Friday, October 8, 2010

Irish Family = Irish Welcome

I want to start off with "AHHH I'M IN IRELAND!," but that would be skipping crucial steps in my journey to getting here. So we'll start with Wednesday night when the washing machine crapped out on me and wouldn't let me get my clothes out. No worries though, Dad taught me well and I was able to jury-rig a solution. The water wouldn't drain on its own, so I just unplugged the back-up drain, and hand-drained it with many trips of carrying a bucket of gross washing water to dump into the toilet. Which allowed me to open the door. And then I hand rinsed the clothes and sheets that I was washing in the shower. Which got a bit sloppy, but that's what bathing suits are for. Crisis averted.

Thursday morning was my Politics of the British Novel exam, and then freedom! Spent a long time in the airport, but at least I wasn't late. Had a lovely conversation with the guy sitting next to me to Derry who was heading home for a wedding. He briefed me on what to expect in Derry (notably, a bumpy landing... he was right), and, all in all, I had a very pleasant flight.

Patsy (my cousin) was waiting for me at the arrivals gate, and we were off! He had a bunch of errands to run after picking me up, but they were all connected with family, so I got to meet two of his brothers, his parents, and his sister. Really lovely. I fully expect to be able to understand at least 75% of what they say by the time I leave (which will be a good deal more than the 45% or so that I understand now. THICK accents. His mum and dad especially. I should've prepared for this!). Patsy has a gorgeous house, and I slept in a cloud disguised as a bed. I was loathe to get up this morning, but tea and toast were calling to me!

In the car from the airport (side note: it was absolutely bizarre to be sitting in the front seat on the LEFT side of the car. I kept thinking that I should be driving), Patsy filled me in on this Irish Ball business. Apparently, it's a black-tie fundraiser for the school next to his shop, so thank goodness Mom had me bring that black and white dress of mine (thanks, Mom!). He also told me about his plans for us for my stay. Today (Friday), we're going to head up to the Glen to visit the places where my Grandmom was born/baptised/lived, and then we're going to try and rustle up family members that still live there, the McGonigals. I expect I'll be drinking some tea today :) Tonight, we're going to dinner with Patsy's parents and his sister. Tomorrow we're going to head into Derry to do a walking tour of the walls, and then we're going to an exhibit about the Troubles here. After that, on to the ball! It all sounds amazing. I'm supposed to be researching how to get to Dingle from here, so I'd best to that before we head out a-visiting.

I can hardly believe that I'm in Ireland. And that I'm meeting all these family members that I've heard tell of for years (it's kind of like meeting legends). And it's so nice to be staying in a real house; I've missed house-living. Being in the flat just can't measure up to being in a house. Must research. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment