Thursday, September 24, 2020

Nature in Exy

The Cape Range National Park is part land and part sea; the range itself can't really be called mountains but it's definitely hills, and the Ningaloo Reef just off the coast is part of the park as well. The land itself was under water when local Aboriginal tribes first settled in the area; they have an oral tradition that goes back to when the whole peninsula was still seabed. When the sea receded, it left all kinds of caves and gorges in the limestone that make for great exploring. One of the oldest pieces of jewelry ever discovered, a shell necklace dated to about 32,000 years ago, was found in caves near the Mandu Mandu gorge inside the national park. I've been wanting to hike the gorge ("bush walk" it, in local parlance) for ages but didn't want to do it solo. As unfamiliar as I am with the local terrain, I wanted to be sure I had company in case of emergency. Fortunately for me, my friend Kayla has been wanting to hike it, too! So, when we discovered that we had the same day off  couple of weeks back, we made plans to get up early and do it. 


Mandu Mandu Gorge




The views of the Indian Ocean from the gorge were beautiful, the hike was just long enough to be fun without being too much, and we spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out at a beach nearby called Sandy Bay. It was basically the most magnificent beach you can imagine - white sand, turquoise water, hardly any people - and we just kept marveling that we live here. Sorry not sorry if you're tired of reading sentences like that on this blog :)


Sandy Bay, Cape Range National Park

Davo and Sandra recently bought a new boat - longer, wider, more powerful engine - and they've been taking it out on the water every chance they get. I had the same day off as David last week so we went out on the water for another attempt at fishing. 

Best life


Davo

I caught a fish, y'all!!!!! Pure accident, actually. The hook didn't even go in the poor fish's mouth; I hooked it on the belly as I was reeling in my line. And it was tiny. But I still caught my first fish since I was about 8 years old!

Days here at a blur of heat & sunscreen, reading in the hammock during the day & going to work at night, hanging out with friends & spending time alone. So many days I wish my Perth people were up here, too. But the people in this town are so beautiful. My co-workers love to go out for breakfast together, or to head to the beach when the days are nice. Work is full of banter and hugs and laughter. In a lot of ways I miss life in Perth, but in plenty more I'm grateful for this new experience of small town living. Here you build relationships by being present: getting tea at one of the cafes in the morning, stopping into the grocery store for just an item or two, reading a book in the park in town. I'm lucky that my housemates are lovely people, so home-time means being social, too, but this town makes a strong case for getting out and about to connect. I really like that. 

Puppy at the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment